A good option is to discuss pet insurance with your veterinarian and make sure you do some of your own research. Here are some things to consider:
· Make sure the insurance company clearly spells out the details, including limitations and exclusions, of the coverage plan.
· See if there are any add-on options (for example dental care).
· Find out how they handle pre-existing conditions.
· Some insurance carriers will not cover a specific pet or breed of pet.
· Check if they offer discounts for multiple pets.
· Most insurance plans are reimbursement plans which means you pay up front and get reimbursed by the insurance provider.
· Find out how claims are submitted. Is it something you do? Does your vet have to do it?