Halloween is here and with it comes some possible dangers to our furry friends. Below are some items that we don鈥檛 want our pets to eat or get into.


o   We know that chocolate is bad for dogs but it鈥檚 also bad for cats.

o   For some reason dogs are inherently attracted to the smell and taste of chocolate

o   In general, the darker and more the chocolate, the more poisonous it is

o   Make sure to keep it out of the reach of pets



o   Sugary, high-fat candy can lead to pancreatitis in pets

o   Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas and can be very painful

o   It may not show up for two to four days after ingestion

o   Symptoms include decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, and potentially kidney failure or organ damage


         Grapes and raisins

o   Grapes and raisins are very toxic to dogs and cats and can potentially cause kidney failure

o   Research has yet to find out why or what it is that causes this toxicity

o   Keep out of reach of pets

o   Symptoms include vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, and severe kidney failure


         Candy wrappers

o   Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction which could require surgery to remove it

o   Watch for vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate, or lethargy


         Glow sticks and glow jewelry

o   While not usually life-threatening, their contents can cause pain and irritation in the mouth, as well as profuse drooling and foaming at the mouth



o   If you dress your pet in a costume make sure not to impede his vision, movement or breathing

o   If the costume contains beads or other small parts make sure your pet doesn鈥檛 ingest them since some metals, like zinc and lead, can result in serious poisoning

o   Don鈥檛 dye or color your pet鈥檚 fur. While it may be non-toxic to humans that doesn鈥檛 mean it鈥檚 safe for dogs and cats.



o   Curious noses don鈥檛 realize its hot until it鈥檚 too late and get burned

o   Wagging tails can knock over a candle and catch things, including themselves, on fire


         Pet Poison Control

o   If you think your pet has ingested any of these, contact your veterinarian or pet poison control at 1-855-764-7661